Shannon Keith is a true warrior for change in the fight against sex slavery in India. Shannon is the founder and CEO of Sudara, an online woman’s loungewear brand that employs and empowers formerly sex trafficked women in India & Bangladesh.
Shannon Keith is an abolitionist, speaker, and the CEO of Sudara. Ten years ago, she left her successful career as a corporate sales representative to start a global non-profit, to provide training and jobs for survivors of human trafficking in India.
Shannon Keith took a trip to India that opened her eyes to a tragedy that was occurring daily to women and girls throughout the country. After visiting one of India’s many red light districts, she was forever changed by what she witnessed – modern day slavery. She heard story after story of young girls sold into the sex trade by their families, orphans picked up off the street by pimps, and even young mothers just trying to feed their children. Many were held against their will. Others were trapped by economic poverty. Worst of all were the stories of those who managed to escape the brothels only to return due to social stigma with no other way to survive.
Compelled by the magnitude of the problem, Shannon returned home and founded International Princess Project, now known as Sudara. What started with just six women sewing in a single room has grown to over 150 women and girls employed by Sudara’s three sewing centers in India and Bangladesh.
Shannon has experience speaking to large audiences at the following recent venues:
- The Interfaith Council of South Orange County keynote – May 2014
- Chapman University Global Empowerment Day keynote – May 2014
- MIT / Cal Tech Alumni association keynote – September 2014
- TEDxBend – April 2015
Shannon Keith is available to speak on the following themes:
- The journey of justice starts from within
- What empowering underserved women in developing economies looks like
- Why business may be better poised than traditional nonprofits to solve the greatest injustices of our time
- How women can be a catalyst for innovative social impact disruption
- Ordinary people can change the world
- Helping others find a deep self-awareness of oneself
More topics are available upon request – contact Shannon to discuss your ideas and needs.